Discourse Blog

Posted on Monday

Book Design: Irma Boom

After watching a 2 hour Design Lecture with Irma Boom, I can honestly say she has given me a precious insight in to book design and I have picked up a few tips from her wise words. After about 10 minutes I started to see how precise and accurate she was with everything, her design, the way she arranged her thoughts and sentences. I think that's one of the most important qualities every designer should have to produce very good quality work.

Irma Boom (2010) during a design lecture states
...words and definitions of what a book should be: accurate, antidote, art, bizarre, beauty, brilliant, democratic, composition, gesture, generous, humour, imperfection, independence, innovation, instinct, intuition, knowledge, minimalism, mood, navigation, paper, philosophical, pragmatic, seductive, sinful, thought, tradition, weird.

One of my favourite books was Colour, where Boom chose 80 fine artists and developed them in to colour schemes. The best part about the book is that you have to tear pages apart to see the inner beauty of colours, because there are only solids on the outside. I love how simple yet innovative all her books are, the way she gives them more than one perspective by coming up with a simple motion i.e flip the book backwards or unfold the pages. 


0 comments:

Post a Comment